Smoked Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Very tasty four cheese macaroni and cheese sure to be a hit. You don't have to smoke this, just replace smoking for baking in your oven. Smoking at 225 may not give a
- 1 16-ounce package elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups 8 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips (Hickory and apple taste great together) and preheat the smoker to 225 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper to the mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, and cream sauce. Place macaroni into a 11 x 9-1/2-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in the cheese mixture and mix into the macaroni. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.
- Place in smoker and cook 1 hours at 225 degrees F, until brown, bubbly, and delicious
If you are not smoking, you may substitute the Gouda with smoked Gouda. If the recipe is too sharp, consider using mild cheddar cheese. when smoking at 225, the top may not be browned to your preference. Place it in the broiler to give it that extra touch.